Step 1. Find Google Takeout and log in with the right account
- Go to Google Takeout.
- Chose your Gapps-account in the list. Observe, if you have several accounts it’s very important to chose the one you want to export files from.
- If you don’t find your account in the list, chose Use another account and log in with your Umufirstname.lastname@example.org.
Observe, if you’re already logged in to a Google account when you click on the browser to log in to Google Takeout, make sure your logged in to the right account.
- Click on the symbol for your Google account in the upper right corner.
- Make sure your logged in with your Umuemail@example.com
- If you’re not, choose that adress in the list among logged out accounts.
- If you don’t find the right adress at all, click on Add another account and log in with Umufirstname.lastname@example.org. You will now be send to Umu-login site. Write Umu-id and password and click Sign in.
- Now your logged in to the right account.
Step 2. Chose which products that you want to include in the export
- Before you chose products, start by scrolling in the list to se which products you can export data from.
- Each product has a check box. Check the box at the product you want to export data from.
Observe, make sure you only check the boxes you want to export data from. Otherwise, the export takes more time than it needs to, and you will get a lot of extra product to your computer.
Observe, if you want to export data from Gmail, contact servicedesk.
- If you want to export data from all products, there is a button at the top that makes it possible to check all boxes.
- When you’ve chosen the products you want to export data from, click Next step.
Step 3. Choose type och file, frequency and destination
The first thing you need to do is how and where you will export your files. Observe, we recommend Send a link to email or Add to drive.
Click on the arrow to select how and where you want to export you files.
- Select Send a link to email to email to export your files to your computer.
- Select Add to Drive to export you files to to a private Google Account. (Recommended for students).
- Select Add to dropbox to export your files to a private Dropbox account.
- Select Add to OneDrive to export your files to a private Microsoft account.
Here you choose how often you wan to export. Since were shutting down Google Apps, make this in One export.
Type och file and size
- Click on the arrow. Choose between .zip or .tgz. If you don’t know what to choose, choose .zip.
- You can also choose if you want 1, 2, 4, 10 and 50 GB, if you don’t know what to choose, choose 2 GB.
- When you’ve made the choices, click on the blue button Create export.
- A little pop-up window will appear that explains that the export is ready.
Observe, before the export begins you may receive an email where you have to confirm your identity. If you do, click on Control activity and then Yes, it was me.
4. Follow this step if you’ve chosen Send a link to e-mail.
See step 5 if you’ve chosen Add to Drive.
Depending on how much material you’ve exported it will take either a few minutes or several days to receive the email with the link.
- Go to your e-mail and search for Takeout or look for a mail sent from email@example.com.
- Click on Download your files.
- If you click on Manage exports you will be sent to Google Takeout. If you’ve done more exports, you can see them there. You can see more information about your exports.
Observe, you need to download within a week after you’ve received the link on e-mail.
- Click on the arrow to see what kind of products that were included in the export. If something went wrong and it’s not what you have in mind, no worries. Then you only need to choose different settings in the export and do it again.
- Click on Download and the download will start.
- If you use Chrome as browser, click on the Zip-file Takeout at the bottom of the browser.
If you use Edge, click on Open file under Zip-file at the upper right corner.
- Now you have the files on your own computer.
Step 5. Follow this step if you’ve chosen Add to Drive.
This step shows how you handles, shares and extracts your exported files from Google Apps to a private account.
- After you’ve clicked on Create Export you need to confirm your identity. Observe, log in with your Google Apps account.
- Click on Password if your account shows under the Google logo.
- If your account isn’t shown, click on the square and choose you account in the accordion menu.
- Click Next.
- Wait a few minutes, and then go to www.takeout.google.com and Handle exports.
- Choose your export and click on Open in Drive.
- Go to Google Drive home page logged in on your gApps account.
- Under Maps, choose Takeout.
- Click right on Zip.file and choose Share.
- Write the adress to your private Google account.
- Click Done.
Extract zip-file to your private Google account
- Log in on your private Google account and go to Shared with me.
- Choose the zip file you just shared from your Google Apps account.
- Chose Download.
- Choose Zip Extractor to unpack the files in your private Google Drive.
- If you can’t see “Proposed apps from another app” choose Open With and then Zip Extractor.
- Wait a few minutes while Zip Extractor gets ready to export. A window till appear that says “Ready to export Zip files.” Click on Extract and wait until It’s ready.
- When it’s done click on View Files.
- Your exported files will be saved in map called Takeout. You will se all the products you’ve exported here.
- Drag and drop the maps/files to My unit.