Follow this manual if you want to export files from Googles products to your own computer with Google Takeout, so that you later on can upload your files to a safe space.
What is Google Takeout?
Google Takeout is a service that makes it possible for Googles users to export the data to their own computer or other cloud-space. You can export and download data from Google products like:
- e-mails from Gmail
- files from OneDrive
- tasks from Calendar
- Photos from Photo
- Videos from YouTube
When is it appropriate to use Google Takeout?
There are several reasons for why you should use Google Takeout.
- If you have used Googles own products like Google Documents, Presentation or Spreadsheet, Google Takeout is very useful because it converts data from Googles own form to Microsofts form. For example, a Google Document can convert to Microsoft Word. If you’ve created a lot of Google files, Google Takeout makes it possible to convert all documents in only one export.
- If you have a large amount and different kinds of files that’s not created within Google, we recommend you to use Google Drive application. With this app you can transfer files to the destinations you’ve chosen, for example OneDrive or Protected documents depending the information classification.
- If you have a small amount of material we recommend that you download your files from Google Drive on your browser to your own computer. Observe, you can only export one file at a time with google Drive on the browser. If you have a lot of files, chose Google Takeout to save time.
How do I use Google Takeout?
This manual consist of six steps and helps you avoid usual mistakes in the export.
- Log in to Google apps here.
- Click on the blue button Log in with Umeå University.
- Write your google apps e-mail adress and password (Umufirstname.lastname@example.org)
Step 1. Find Google Takeout and log in with the right account
- Go to Google Takeout.
- Chose your Gapps-account in the list. Observe, if you have several accounts it’s very important to chose the one you want to export files from.
- If you don’t find your account in the list, chose Use another account and log in with your Umuemail@example.com.
Observe, if you’re already logged in to a Google account when you click on the browser to log in to Google Takeout, make sure your logged in to the right account.
- Click on the symbol for your Google account in the upper right corner.
- Make sure your logged in with your Umufirstname.lastname@example.org
- If you’re not, choose that adress in the list among logged out accounts.
- If you don’t find the right adress at all, click on Add another account and log in with Umuemail@example.com. You will now be send to Umu-login site. Write Umu-id and password and click Sign in.
- Now your logged in to the right account.
Step 2. Chose which products that you want to include in the export
- Before you chose products, start by scrolling in the list to se which products you can export data from.
- Each product has a check box. Check the box at the product you want to export data from.
Observe, make sure you only check the boxes you want to export data from. Otherwise, the export takes more time than it needs to, and you will get a lot of extra product to your computer.
Observe, if you want to export data from Gmail, contact servicedesk.
- If you want to export data from all products, there is a button at the top that makes it possible to check all boxes.
- When you’ve chosen the products you want to export data from, click Next step.
Step 3. Chose what kind of file, frequency and next destination
The first thing you decide is how and where you want to export your files. Takeout makes you chose between a few options. We recommend – Send a link to email.
- If you chose Add to Drive your data will disappear because we’re going to shut down Google Drive.
- I you chose Add to Dropbox you export data from gApps to a private Dropbox account and your data will be saved in American servers and that means that you don’t follow the General Data Protection regulation.
- If you chose Add to OneDrive you export from gApps to a private Microsoft account, you can’t export directly to your Umu Microsoft 365 account.
- If you chose Add to Box you export data from gApps to a private Box account and your data will be saved in American servers and that means that you don’t follow the General Data Protection regulation
By choosing Send a link to email you will be send a link when the files are ready and exported, then you will have seven days to download the files.
Then you chose how often you’d like to export. Since Google Apps will be shut down, chose to only do the export One time.
Filetype and filesize
- Click on the arrow. You can either choose .zip or .tgz. If you don’t know what to chose, chose .zip.
- Click on the arrow next to 2GB. You can either choose 1, 2, 4, 10 or 50 GB. If you don’t know, choose 2GB.
- When you’ve made all the choices, click Export.
- The export has now started. A window will pop up that explains approximately how long time it will take. It can take a few minutes or several days.
Before the export starts you may receive and e-mail where you have to confirm your identity.
- Click on Check identity.
- Click on Yes, it was me.
- The export will start once you’ve accepted and a link will be sent to you once the export is done.
Step 4. Download your exported files
This step show you how to download your exported files via a link on you e-mail to your computer. Observe, depending on how much material you’ve exported it will take either a few minutes or several days to receive the email.
- Go to your e-mail and search for Takeout or look for a mail sent from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click on Download your files.
- If you click on Manage exports you will be sent to Google Takeout. If you’ve done more exports, you can see them there. You can see more information about your exports.
Observe, you need to download within a week after you’ve received the link on e-mail.
- Click on the arrow to see what kind of products that were included in the export. If something went wrong and it’s not what you have in mind, no worries. Then you only need to choose different settings in the export and do it again.
- Click on Download and the download will start.
- If you use Chrome as browser, click on the Zip-file Takeout at the bottom of the browser. If you use Edge, click on Open file under Zip-file at the upper right corner.
- Now you have the files on your own computer.
Step 5. Manage your files on your computer
This step helps you sort your files on your computer so that you later on can upload the files on another service. Make sure you have enough space on your computer before you do this step.
- Go to Finder/Task Manager -> This computer -> Downloaded.
- Chose the zip-file that starts with Takeout.
- Invent your files and sort them.
- When you’re feeling done, drag and drop the exported map to your desktop. Observe, make sure you have enough space on your computer.
- A little box will pop up and show how in percentage how much of the material that is exported. Wait until it says 100 %.
- Tip! When it’s done, change the name of the map so you don’t get confused.
Step 6. Upload your files on OneDrive
- Go to www.o365.umu.se and chose OneDrive in the menu to the left.
- When you’re in OneDrive, click on Upload and chose Map.
- Finder/Task manager will pop up. Chose Desktop and your Google takeout export. Click Upload.
- A safety window will appear, click on Upload.
- Your upload is now running. When it’s done, check some of the files and make sure everything worked properly.
- Go to your desktop and delete the map that you uploaded.