When you want to set up and adjust your notifications settings in Microsoft Teams, there are two options: for the entire application or for each channel.
Set up notifications for the Teams application
- Click on the three dots next to you profile picture in the upper right corner in Teams.
- A menu will appear, select Settings.
- Select Notifications and set up the different notifications under each heading.
If you’ve chosen to receive a notification via email – please note that you will unfortunately not receive this notification if you are signed in or have the application open in the background. This is because you are considered as active and will therefore only receive notifications in the application.
Set up notifications for a channel in Teams
- Go to the channel where you want to adjust your settings, and click on the three dots.
- Select Channel notifications.
- In the next menu, you can choose how you want to be notified when something happens.
- Select Custom to get more options for the notifications.
Note that these settings only apply to you and the specific channel, not the entire team. For example, if you are interested in what’s happening in the Teams channel but not in the Planner channel you have to disable notifications from the Planner channel.